Technical Officer (Nutrition)
Job no: 497572
Work type: Full time
Categories: Laboratory & Research Support, Farming, Animals and Conservation
Technical Officer (Nutrition)
- Fixed term, full time position until July 2024
- Based in Hobart
- Requires weekends and after-hours on call roster
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies (IMAS) is an internationally recognised centre of excellence for marine and Antarctic research and education. Our vision is to develop environmental understanding and facilitate sustainable development for the benefit of industry, governments and communities in Tasmania, Australia, and the world.
Technical Officer (Nutrition) will provide technical support for the lobster aquaculture program including live feeds production, feed manufacture, animal husbandry, routine biochemistry and laboratory procedures are followed. The successful candidate will adhere to established protocols, collect, and collate data, undertake record keeping and document management and contribute to the development of manuals.
- Undertake daily live feeds culture, following established protocols and bio-secure practices.
- Assist with feed manufacture of larval and juvenile lobster feeds.
- Assist with juvenile lobster husbandry and experimentation, ensuring accurate collection, collation, and distribution of data.
- Assist with processing biological samples for biochemical analyses.
- Operate and maintain a variety of aquaculture equipment including laboratory equipment.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- Diploma level qualification in Aquaculture, Marine Science or Animal nutrition fields and relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience, education, and training.
- Experience working in a laboratory, operating, and maintaining equipment.
- Aquaculture experience maintaining animals in culture systems.
- Ability to assist with research experiments, adhere to protocols, problem solve, and take direction.
- Ability to manage records and data with a high level of accuracy and ensuring confidentiality and ensuring protection of Intellectual Property.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 4 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $80,122 comprising base salary within the range of $64,643 to $68,480 plus 17% superannuation.
The University of Tasmania recognises that this is critical for the workforce at the University to protect the safety of our workforce and vulnerable Tasmanians.
Applicants for this role must be prepared to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide the following supporting documentation:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role;
- Your responses to the success criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Gregory Smith, Professor, Gregory.Smith@utas.edu.au or 03 6226 8268.
- Please visit https://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Tuesday, 5 July 2022, 11.55pm
Position Description - Technical Officer (Nutrition).pdf
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfil the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Standard Time
Applications close: Tasmania Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend