Technical Officer (Hatchery)
Job no: 497569
Work type: Full time
Categories: Laboratory & Research Support, Farming, Animals and Conservation
Technical Officer (Hatchery)
- Fixed term, full time position until July 2024.
- Based in Hobart.
- Provide technical support to ensure critical systems and environmental parameters.
The Technical Officer (Hatchery) will join a team that provides support for the ARC Research Hub for Sustainable Onshore Lobster Aquaculture. The project aims to build knowledge to establish the world’s first sustainable onshore lobster aquaculture industry focused on commercial, sustainable and socially acceptable lobster production from hatchery to market.
- Provide husbandry and system maintenance support in the lobster hatchery and the juvenile lobster experimental facility.
- Assist conducting larval experiments, ensuring accurate collection, collation, and distribution of data.
- Ensure critical rearing systems and environmental parameters are operated within scope.
- Construct, operate and maintain a variety of aquaculture equipment including recirculating aquaculture systems, water treatment infrastructure and laboratory equipment.
- Maintain the workplace and equipment and identify operational risks and hazards.
- Participate on the weekend and after-hours on call roster and provide emergency backup for the Aquaculture Facility.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- Diploma level qualification in Aquaculture, Marine Science or related field and relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment and establish positive working relationships with colleagues, provide assistance to students and report regularly to supervisors.
- Aquaculture experience maintaining animals in culture systems, and the ability to identify and rectify variances in established protocols.
- Ability in the maintenance and operation of aquaculture systems.
- Ability to assist with research experiments, adhere to protocols, problem solve, and take direction.
- Ability to manage records and data with a high level of accuracy.
- Willingness to be on call to assist with out of hours coverage and emergency backup for the aquarium and to work weekends on a roster basis.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 4 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $80,122 comprising base salary within the range of $64,643 to $68,480 plus 17% superannuation.
The University of Tasmania recognises that this is critical for the workforce at the University to protect the safety of our workforce and vulnerable Tasmanians.
Applicants for this role must be prepared to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide the following supporting documentation:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role;
- Your responses to the success criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Gregory Smith, Professor, Gregory.Smith@utas.edu.au or (03) 6226 8268.
- Please visit https://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Sunday, 3 July 2022, 11.55pm
Position Description - Technical Officer (Hatchery).pdf
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfil the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Standard Time
Applications close: Tasmania Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend