Dean of Students
Job no: 498203
Work type: Full time
Categories: Student Services
Dean of Students, Residential College
- Full time, ongoing position
- Two positions, both based in Sandy Bay
- Play a key role in the reinvigoration of the University’s residential collegiate model
Within a collegiate leadership team, the Dean of Students will work in partnership with student leaders and a team of Student Living Support Officers to provide sensitive and effective management of the college’s student care and well-being provision.
You will play a critical role in partnering with students and staff to build a strong collegiate inspired community and culture. You must be an inspiring people leader with strong organisational skills, underpinned by in-depth knowledge of collegiate style student living environments. With student safety and wellbeing and supporting academic success as the highest priorities, the Dean of Students will play a lead role in developing and nurturing a culture of care and support enabling college residents to learn and live in a vibrant, safe, and engaging environment.
- Inspire student leaders, student residents and staff to work in partnership to promote positive community culture and connection underpinned by a strong focus on inclusion, safety and wellbeing.
- Plan, implement and routinely evaluate an annual schedule of purposeful engagement opportunities and initiatives related to creating a strong, supportive student community culture.
- Ensure all student residents and staff have been appropriately inducted and trained on points of contact for wellbeing and safety issues, responses to emergency and crisis management procedures.
- Manage responses swiftly and effectively, including follow-up and necessary escalation related to crisis situations, and manage at risk students with appropriate support strategies.
- Partner with and support the development of the college student committee to plan and lead a schedule of diverse, inclusive social engagement programs.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- A degree level qualification and extensive experience in a people centred leadership role in an educational or community building environment.
- Ability to connect and positively influence as an inspiring, creative people leader and ambassador for the College.
- Deep understanding of the key issues for diverse cohorts of students transitioning and settling into higher education and a new community and the key factors which impact and influence student academic success.
- Excellent cultural competency capability and experience working with diverse communities.
- Experience leading others in a diverse and challenging environment; a calm, outcome focused problem solver who finds people centred solutions for complex issues.
- Demonstrated capacity to take a people-centred and safety-first response to complex and critical incidents in accordance with WHS legislation and University policies and procedures.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 8 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $139,269 comprising base salary within the range of $104,688 to $119,034 plus 17% superannuation.
The University of Tasmania recognises that this is critical for the workforce at the University to protect the safety of our workforce and vulnerable Tasmanians.
Applicants for this role must be prepared to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide the following supporting documentation:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role;
- Your responses to the success criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Don Knapp, Director Campus Living, Don.Knapp@utas.edu.au or 0409 374100
- Please visit https://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Sunday, 11 December 2022, 11.55pm
Dean of Students - 498203.pdf
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfil the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend