Job no: 499674
Work type: Full time
Categories: Laboratory & Research Support
- Responsible for the daily organisation and operation of the PC2 rodent research facility
- Liaise with and support research staff and students, to ensure compliance and best practice
- Full time ongoing position based in Hobart
About the opportunity
The Senior Technician will be responsible for the daily organisation and operation of the PC2 rodent research facilities. Primary duties will include liaising with and supporting research staff and students, to ensure compliance and best practice relating to all aspects of laboratory animal technology, health and safety, animal ethics and welfare, and scientific procedures in order to support high quality research outcomes.
The incumbent will show to have sound knowledge of legislation pertaining to a PC2 animal facility, e.g. Work Safe Tasmania, Office of the Gene Technology Regulator, and the NHMRC guidelines 2013 and exhibit extensive experience in laboratory animal care, facility operations within a research environment and data management expertise with a defined portfolio of academic and vocational skills developed either within a biomedical or other laboratory animal environment.
The intention of this position description is to highlight the most important aspects, rather than to limit the scope or accountabilities of this role. Duties may be altered in accordance with the changing requirements of the position.
What you’ll do:
- To support the Manager, Animal Services in the coordination, implementation, and monitoring of the daily operations of the animal facility including oversight of service delivery and animal welfare standards.
- Provide support and direction to animal technicians in conventional and genetically modified animal breeding programs.
- Assessing and evaluating animal welfare issues and implementing appropriate action with regard to animal welfare concerns.
- Routine maintenance of facility including welfare checks, database entries, weekly stock take, and preparing cages, animals and supplies for delivery.
- Ensure the animal ethics projects that you are listed on adhere to the requirements of research and animal ethics projects, timelines, and standard operating procedures.
What we’re looking for:
- Completion of a relevant degree/diploma with relevant experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Experience in the daily management and operations of an animal facility.
- Understanding and application of rodent technical and husbandry skills with experience in rodent animal husbandry practice and the ability to implement standard animal breeding techniques.
- Experience and demonstrated ability to carry out and manage advanced breeding schemes and maintenance of genetically modified rodent lines with difficult phenotypes.
- Knowledge of the various protocols, regulations, and guidelines, including codes of practice such as NHMRC Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes 2013, The Gene Technology Act 2000, Physical containment for animal facilities PC1, PC2, Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service, Biosecurity ACT 2019.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 6 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $110,273 comprising a base salary within the range of $86,918 to $94,250 plus 17% superannuation.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide your CV and 1-2-page cover letter outlining your interest in the role, skills, capabilities, and experience. You do not need to separately address the success criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Paul Scowen, Manager, Animal Services, firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 6226 7786.
- Please visit https://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
- Please refer to the attached Position Description Below for full details.
Position Description - 499674 - Senior Technician.pdf
Applications close Sunday, 3 March 2024, 11.55pm
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfil the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend