Digital Agriculture Scientist
Job no: 497321
Work type: Full time
Categories: Balanced Research/Teaching
Digital Agriculture Scientist
- Full time fixed term (3 years) position
- Based in Launceston
The Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture (TIA) delivers premier research, development, extension and education programs with strong links to key stakeholders in industry through its Joint Venture with the Tasmanian Government. TIA contributes to the development of prosperous, innovative and sustainable rural industries and communities through impact-focused education, research, development and extension initiatives.
Applications are invited from motivated and enthusiastic individuals with a record of high-quality research and teaching in the Digital Agriculture, Precision Agriculture or Agricultural Technology disciplines. This position will be a key contributor to research within the Tasmanian Institute of Agriculture.
- Deliver learning and teaching in agriculture technology and innovation to undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in the Bachelor of Agricultural Science and Master of Applied Science.
- Lead or participate in research activities to
(i) support adoption of agricultural technologies,
(ii) evaluate and integrate 3rd party technologies and/ or data to Tasmanian agricultural applications,
(iii) integrate new technologies into existing farming systems,
(iv) develop and commercialise new IP.
- Support TIA staff and students through the provision of expert advice to research projects requiring experience in digital agriculture and technology.
- Liaise with agricultural industries, government, NGOs, and other stakeholders to identify research priorities and funding opportunities especially those related to digital agriculture and agricultural technology.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of productive and effective links inside the University and locally and nationally with the discipline, relevant interdisciplinary domains, profession, industry and/or wider community.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- A PhD or equivalent in digital agriculture, precision agriculture, agricultural engineering, or mechatronic engineering specialising in agricultural applications.
- A good portfolio in University-level learning and teaching that includes teaching practice, contemporary curriculum design and scholarship of learning and teaching.
- A strong and continuing commitment to a research portfolio that has achieved national recognition and made notable contributions to Digital Agriculture.
- Experience with some of the following systems and applications; GIS systems, mechatronics and instrumentation, agricultural IOT and sensor networks, sensor-based data, and precision agriculture technology and practice.
- A working knowledge of IP commercialisation.
Appointment to this role will be at Academic Level B and will have a total remuneration package of up to $136,519 comprising base salary within the range of $100,508 to $116,683 plus 17% superannuation.
The University of Tasmania recognises that this is critical for the workforce at the University to protect the safety of our workforce and vulnerable Tasmanians.
Applicants for this role must be prepared to provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide the following supporting documentation:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role;
- Your responses to the success criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Caroline Mohammed, Centre Leader, Agricultural Systems, Caroline.Mohammed@utas.edu.au or (03) 6226 2921
- Please visit https://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Sunday, 22 May 2022, 11.55pm
PD Digital Agriculture Scientist.pdf
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfil the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Standard Time
Applications close: Tasmania Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend