Laboratory Analyst in LA - ICPMS
Job no: 495049
Work type: Full time
Categories: Laboratory & Research Support
Laboratory Analyst in LA-ICPMS
- Fixed-term, full time position for three years
- Based in Hobart, Sandy Bay Campus
- Be part of one of the world’s leading laser ablation analytical laboratories in the field of geochemistry.
The Centre for Ore Deposit and Earth Sciences (CODES), part of the School of Natural sciences is widely regarded as a global leader in ore deposit research. Having formed in 1989, CODES has developed a long-standing reputation for delivering high quality research within the mining industry.
The Centre for Ore Deposit and Earth Sciences (CODES) is seeking to appoint a Laboratory Analyst to be responsible for the operation and maintenance of one of the four LA-ICPMS units within the Laboratories. The Laboratories also operate a clean sample preparation laboratory for solution ICPMS, a fully equipped Lapidary laboratory, WDS-XRF, portable XRF and bulk XRD instruments. The Laboratories are simultaneously a research and service unit which supports CODES research projects and external users, performing geochemical analyses following the methods developed within the Laboratories’ R&D program. The LA-ICP-MS equipment includes 4 RESOlution S-155 laser microprobes, 3 UP-platform laser microprobes, 3 Agilent 7900, 1 Agilent 7700, and 1 TOF-R mass-spectrometers.
The successful candidate will be highly trained in geochemical microanalysis and able to provide advice and training on how to operate the equipment, support research projects within CODES, and facilitate access to the Laboratories for external users.
- Operate one LA-ICPMS laboratory consisting of a quadrupole ICPMS and an excimer laser microprobe.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs of instruments.
- Provide expert advice to internal and external users.
- Train academic staff and research students on the operation of the equipment.
- Perform LA-ICPMS analyses for and report results to external users of the Laboratories.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- An Honours degree or higher qualification in the field of geochemistry, or equivalent, with extensive experience in the field of analytical geochemistry.
- Experience in independently operating and maintaining analytical equipment.
- Interest and the ability to show initiative in analytical developments.
- Experience with data reduction procedures for analytical data.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 7 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $112,425 comprising base salary within the range of $87,423 to $96,090 plus 17% superannuation.
How to Apply:
- To apply online, please provide your resume, cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role, and your responses to the position/selection criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact the Leader of CODES Analytical Laboratories, Professor Leonid Danyushevsky, L.Dan@utas.edu.au or 03 6226 2469.
- Please visit http://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying2 for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Wednesday, 16 December 2020, 11.55pm
Position Description - Laboratory Analyst.pdf
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend