Aboriginal Student Adviser
Job no: 496016
Work type: Full time
Location: Hobart, Launceston
Categories: Student Services, Community & Engagement
Aboriginal Student Adviser
- 3 Fixed term, full time positions until June 2024
- Based in Hobart and Launceston
- Help enhance the cultural future of Tasmania.
The Riawunna Centre for Aboriginal Education is focused on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander student success at the University. We provide students access to academic and cultural support and be a part of a dynamic community in a culturally welcoming space on the Sandy Bay, Newnham and Cradle Coast campuses.
The Aboriginal Student Adviser supports students commencing University and provides targeted specialist advice. The successful applicant will design and implement strategies and support interventions, creating an environment for Aboriginal students to feel welcomed and progress successfully through their studies.
This is an Identified Position. Applicants must be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person to be considered for this role. Candidates must provide eligibility documentation with their application. Please contact email@example.com to discuss the required documentation to be provided with application.
- Provide support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to enable a seamless transition into the University environment.
- Work in collaboration with university partners to design and deliver academic support initiatives which are college and student cohort specific.
- Ensure programs, curriculum, co-curricular experiences and resources are appropriate to Aboriginal students.
- Ensure Aboriginal student retention and progression is supported, monitored and appropriate facilitated.
- Deliver Riawunna programs and cultural experiences, increasing visibility of Aboriginal people, history and culture at the University.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- The successful applicant must be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person (refer to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Identified Position Guidelines for required documentation to be provided with application).
- Completion of a tertiary level degree and experience working in a support or equivalent people centred role.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, a culturally sensitive manner and ability to engage with stakeholders.
- Ability to understand University courses, structures and study plans to guide students and to address identified needs.
- Competent information technology skills and capacity to adapt to and work with new technologies and systems.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 6 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $100,345 comprising base salary within the range of $79,093 to $85,765 plus 17% superannuation.
How to Apply
- To apply online, please provide your resume, cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role, and your responses to the position/selection criteria
- For further information about this position, please contact Caroline Spotswood, Head of Service - Riawunna, Caroline.Spotswood@utas.edu.au or (03) 6226 8542.
- Please direct any questions regarding eligibility requirements for confirmation of Aboriginality to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please visit http://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying2 for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Sunday, 27 June 2021, 11.55pm
Position Description - Aboriginal Student Adviser.pdf
Advertised: Tasmania Standard Time
Applications close: Tasmania Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend