Director, Commercialisation & Enterprise Creation
Job no: 495231
Work type: Full time
Categories: Management, Strategy, Community & Engagement
Director Commercialisation and Enterprise Creation
- Apply your experience and passion in an ambitious and people-centred organisation
- Initial 3 Year Appointment with options for renewal
Researchers at the University create a diverse and exciting array of intellectual property, and the University seeks to ensure that this innovation has maximum impact in the Tasmanian community and beyond, providing strong economic, social and environmental outcomes. The University has embarked on a new way of working to facilitate the broad impact of its research.
As part of our commitment to embarking on this new way of working, we are seeking to appoint a Director of Commercialisation & Enterprise Creation as a joint appointment across the Innovation and Enterprise Office in the Research Division, the College of Business and Economics (CoBE), and the College of Sciences and Engineering (CoSE).
In this critical role, you will engage with researchers, the new University incubator and accelerator facilities, partner companies, and investors to optimise the impact of the IP created in the University, largely by facilitating new startups, but also assisting existing startups to scale. You will generate a strong focus on the establishment of new enterprise across the full spectrum of not-for-profit through to fully commercial for-profit ventures, with many using a science, engineering, and technology basis to deliver societal benefit.
- Facilitate new start-up companies in Tasmania (priority) and beyond (as appropriate) through engagement with researchers, external partners, and investors
- Identify and effectively engage suitable investors for early-stage seed funding and Series A financing
- Mobilise University IP to increase its exposure, accessibility and attractiveness, enabling existing start-ups to scale and established firms and industries to innovate
- Assist with management of University IP, including identification of IP most likely to facilitate successful new enterprises early in the research process, and assist to shepherd and develop that IP to have impact
- Assist with University Incubator and Accelerator programs, including contributing to short courses
- Provide leadership in setting the strategic direction in IP management at the University
- Deliver Master Classes in enterprise creation in the College of Business and Economics.
Along with highlighting your track record of delivery, your application will demonstrate;
- Deep experience and expertise in commercialising IP across a broad range of areas
- Demonstrated experience in the effective management of intellectual property
- Proven experience in facilitating successful start-up companies, including attracting early-stage and series-stage investors and start-up company staff with appropriate backgrounds
- Sophisticated ability to lead, work with, and get the best out of a broad range of personalities
- Action-oriented individual with deep expertise in managing relationships and influencing a broad and complex range of both internal and external stakeholders, collaborators, and partners, fostering trust and collaboration
- Deep understanding of alternative investment strategies for early-stage ventures
- Broad network of industry, research, and investor contacts.
How to Apply:
- To apply online, please provide your CV and 1-2-page cover letter outlining your interest in the role, skills, capabilities and experience. Please also address the essential and desirable selection criteria outlined in the attached position description.
- For further information about this position, in the first instance please contact Tahlie Burke, People & Wellbeing Business Partner - Tahlie.Burke@utas.edu.au
Applications close Friday, 5 March 2021 11:55pm
Position Description - Director, Commercialisation & Enterprise Creation.pdf
A senior manager level remuneration package will be negotiated with the preferred candidate commensurate with their skills and experience.
We support flexible working arrangements. Please let us know how we could make this opportunity work for you. To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfill the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend