Job no: 495227
Work type: Full time
Categories: Administration, Information Technology, Laboratory & Research Support
- Full time, fixed-term position for 12 months
- Based in Hobart
The Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) is part of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Division, and is a national collaborative research infrastructure, supported by the Australian Government.
IMOS is designed to be a full-integrated, national system, observing at ocean-basin and regional scales, and covering physical, chemical and biological variables.
IMOS is seeking to appoint a skilled Software Engineer with a background in computer science, database administration and data management.
The successful candidate will work within the Australian Ocean Data Network (AODN) facility, responsible for assisting in the design and implementation of new data management systems to support data collection activities of IMOS facilities.
All observations collected by IMOS facilities and associated data products are discoverable, accessible, usable and reusable via the Australian Ocean Data Network (AODN). Increasingly, even more data is being made available via AODN from a wide range of partner organisations – research institutions, Federal and State Government departments, and private industry.
- Implement new web-based data management systems.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to perform systems analysis tasks.
- Develop systems in line with defined architectures and established organisational practices.
- Work with other members of IMOS/AODN on system design, delivery, transition, and maintenance.
- Document completed work including code, develop manuals for the use of systems and document processes and procedures where appropriate.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate;
- Tertiary qualification in Computer Science (or similar) with relevant experience or equivalent extensive experience.
- Significant experience developing and maintaining REST API’s and database persistence mechanisms using Java (preferably using Spring).
- Experience with open source geospatial applications.
- Experience with cloud computing environments.
- Background knowledge in database design and implementation preferably using PostgreSQL and PostGIS..
- A methodical approach to development and documentation of software and systems.
Appointment to this role will be at HEO 7 and will have a total remuneration package of up to $105,219 comprising base salary within the range of $87,423 to $96,090 plus 9.5% superannuation.
How to Apply:
- To apply online, please provide your resume, cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role, and your responses to the position/selection criteria.
- For further information about this position, please contact Cameron Moloney, Information Infrastructure Team Leader – AODN, Cameron.firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 6226 8586.
- Please visit http://www.utas.edu.au/jobs/applying2 for our guide to applying and details on the recruitment process.
Applications close Sunday, 31 January 2021, 11.55pm
Position Description - Software Engineer.pdf
To be eligible for this position, you are required to have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or a current valid visa that allows you to fulfill the requirements of this role.
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend